Week Without Violence
16-22 October 2017
The Week Without Violence (WWV) is a global campaign to end violence against women. The campaign occurs in the third week of October, each year.
Since 1999, the northern metropolitan region has had a proud history of participation in the WWV, primarily through the Clothesline Project, which focuses on raising awareness about family violence.
Last year’s WWV was held between 17-21 October 2016. Over 48 activities were facilitated throughout the northern region.
In the northern region, the WWV is coordinated and resourced by Women’s Health In the North.
What is the Clothesline Project?
The Clothesline Project is a popular WWV activity for women and their supporters to participate in. The concept is simple: each participant expresses their feelings about family violence, using words and/or artwork to paint on a T-shirt. Once finished, the participant hangs the T-shirt on a clothesline. The clotheslines are then displayed in organisations and public spaces throughout the region.
Find out more about what participants can paint on their T-shirt.
- Family violence is serious, prevalent and preventable.
- Family violence is a crime that is overwhelmingly perpetrated by men against women and children. It is both a cause and consequence of gender inequality.
- 1 in 3 Australian women over the age of 15 has experienced physical or sexual violence and/or emotional abuse by an intimate partner.
- Family violence takes a profound and long-term toll on women and children’s health and wellbeing, on families and communities, and on society as a whole.
Week Without Violence posters will be available soon.
The poster includes a space where local events can be promoted.
- Power and Control Wheel
- Equality Wheel
- Violence Against Women Fact Sheets
- Love Control DVD and Resource Kit
Response and referral:
- NIFVS multi-language posters
- Help Cards (order Help Cards here)
- Tip Sheet: Responding to Disclosures from Women (available soon)
- DVRCV publications – DVRCV have a range of resources regarding family violence
Order the following materials for the Clothesline Project:
- Unpainted T-Shirts, brushes and paints
A paper T-shirt template is also available