Are you in danger?
If you have been threatened or you are fearful for yourself, a child or a family member, call the police on 000.
Do you need help?
Contact a family violence or sexual assault service on the numbers, below:
Safe Steps Family Violence Response Centre (24 hours) 1800 015 188
Berry Street Northern Family & Domestic Violence Service 9450 4700
Northern Centre Against Sexual Assault 9496 2240
National Sexual Assault and Family Violence Counselling Service (24 hours) 1800 RESPECT
InTouch Multicultural Centre Against Family Violence 1800 755 988
Victorian Aboriginal Family Violence Prevention Legal Service 1800 105 303
Men’s Referral Service 1300 766 491
Child Protection Crisis Line 13 12 78
For services throughout Victoria, visit the Domestic Violence Resource Centre Victoria website.
A safety plan is a plan of action for when the risk of harm begins to increase. At a minimum, it should include:
- Contact numbers for a family violence organisations (local, statewide and national)
- List emergency contact numbers
- A safe place to go and a plan to get there
- Identifying a friend, family member or neighbour who can assist in an emergency, and how to contact them
- Identifying a way to get access to money in an emergency
- Identifying a way to access emergency personal care assistance and support if required
- Identifying a place to store valuables and important documents so they can be accessed when needed
- Eliminating the ability to be tracked via smart phone
- Addressing any barriers implementing the safety plan
- Any other tactics she is currently using to keep herself safe
For safety planning information for people with intellectual disabilities, visit the Tell Someone website.
For more information about Safety Plans, visit the 1800 RESPECT website.
If you are concerned that someone may be tracking or monitoring your internet use, visit the SmartSafe website for technology safety tips and information.
Family Violence Intervention Orders
A Family Violence Intervention Order (FVIO) protects a person from a family member who is using family violence. Find more advice about FVIOs here.