The Victorian Government has launched a world-first family violence index to better understand the scale of the crisis.
The index will bring together data from across the fields of crime, justice, health, education and our community to create a single indicator of family violence. Relevant measures, statistics and data for the Index may include things such as:
- the reporting rates of instances of crime
- the number of police referrals to family violence services
- the number of perpetrators convicted
- the number of working days lost by employees affected
- the rate of homelessness caused by family violence
- the number of presentations to the justice system
- the variation of community attitudes towards acts of violence
- the number of affected women and children presenting to hospital.
More information can be found on the Premier of Victoria’s website.
(Source: Media Release from the Office of the Premier of Victoria, 19 May 2015)